Nandigram killings : Get informed
- APDR, PBKMS, MASUM Fact-finding report (pdf)
- A rejoinder to the Untruths being spread by CPI(M) and it's lapdogs
March 14 and onwards
- Villagers in Nandigram killed in police firing on march 14th, when around 3000 policemen and many CPM cadre moved in to occupy the area.
- Newspaper reports put the death toll between 6 and 32 (biases and govt censorship) but actual death toll is more than 100. (reference ) Hundreds more have been injured severely. Many women and children are among those killed and injured.
- Around 600 people are missing according to latest reports on bengali news channels.
- Contrary to CPI(M)'s claims, Trinamul congress and Maoists are not at the centrestage of the resistance against
- There are reports that the govt is not letting people access to bodies of relatives, in fact bodies are being put in plastic bags and thrown into the sea.
- Due to bold (and even violent) resistance by the people, some policemen have also been injured (not one has been killed). The govt and sections of the media are trying to exaggerate and shift focus to this.
- The area had been a no-entry zone for policemen and the state administration for more than two months.
- Many left-leaning intellectuals and artists have denounced the CPM and have strongly come out in support of the Nandigram villagers.
- Intellectuals and artists who have protested strongly: Nabaneeta Dev Sen (writer), Romila Thapar (historian), Arundhati Roy (writer), Tanika Sarkar (historian), Sumit Sarkar (historian), Jean Dreze (Economist), Bibhas Chakraborty (theatre), Monoj Mitra (theatre), Ashoke Mukhopadhyay (theatre), Kaushik Sen (theatre), Bratya Basu (theatre), Nabarun Bhattacharya (writer)
- 22,500 acres of land to be acquired for chemical hub SEZ by multi-national salim group of indonesia.
- On 2 January 2007, a notice was officially issued by HDA that initially about 14,500 acres of land in Nandigram.
- Clashes between people and police and CPM cadre on 3rd Jan.
- Since then violent incidents have been frequent, and the villagers have put up stiff resistance. (Medha Patkar's report )
- Social activists had already warned of a growing build-up of CPM cadre and policemen around Nandigram.
- Krishi Bhumi Uchched Virodhi Samiti is the organisation of the villagers. The Trinamul Congress, main opposition party, is externally supporting it.
- Nandigram is a predominantly Muslim area and an erstwhile CPM support zone. Muslim organisations were among the first to get active.
- Official CPM statements: 1. what happened 2. press statement 3. Buddhuda's assembly speech
- "Anarchy would not be tolerated and would be crushed with a heavy hand." --Buddhadeb Bhattacharjee, CM of West Bengal on March 11.
- "This is no way to run a coalition regime. Things are being decided unilaterally," says Jyoti Basu, CPM big-shot and ex-CM of WB.
- CPM version: http://www.outlookindia.com/full.asp?fodname=20070316&fname=kolkatakorner&sid=2
- CPM claims (press statement ) that Trinamool Congress workers were fighting the police in Nandigram. Independent media reports do not corroborate this claim.
- For a detailed account, see Sanjay Sangvai's report: http://www.kafila.org/2007/03/15/nandigram-update-from-sanjay-sangvai/
- Biases in the media http://www.thehoot.org/story.asp?storyid=Web5917617143Hoot120527%20PM2517&pn=1
- reports from various sources: http://sanhati.com/home/hpart_new1.htm
- Lots of updates daily and videos from unbiased sources: http://sacredmediacow.com/?cat=44
News Reports (larger issue of Nandigram SEZ and response)
- MASUM fact-finding report: http://www.ahrchk.net/ua/mainfile.php/2006/2113/
- resistance news: http://www.sanhati.com/resistanceNews.htm
- reports from various sources: http://sanhati.com/home/hpart_new1.htm
News Reports (14th march police firing) and reactions
- Violent censorship of press: http://www.calcuttaweb.com/nandigram.shtml (original in bengali )
- Monobina gupta's account: http://www.kafila.org/2007/03/14/monobina-gupta-on-nandigram-and-the-cpm-whitewash/
- Sanjai Sangvai's report: http://www.kafila.org/2007/03/15/nandigram-update-from-sanjay-sangvai/
- CPM terrorizes journalists: Times of India report
- historian couple returns award: http://singur-singur.blogspot.com/2007/03/nandigram-was-more-shocking-than.html
- Leftist intellectuals protest: http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/show/40495.html
- List of news: http://singur-singur.blogspot.com/2007/03/that-night-in-nandigram.html
- BBC 1: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/6452733.stm
- BBC 2: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/6457147.stm
- Amnesty: http://web.amnesty.org/library/Index/ENGASA200082007
- I fled but my brother is missing: http://www.rediff.com/news/2007/mar/15nand8.htm
- Buddha-bashing: http://www.outlookindia.com/full.asp?fodname=20070316&fname=kolkatakorner&sid=1
- Poetry: http://cuckooscall.blogspot.com/2007/03/nandigram-joy-goswami.html See the video here: http://youtube.com/watch?v=nDMJ3YrzDmQ
- Arms and ammo recovered in a CPM base near nandigram: http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/show/41380.html
- The centre will not back out from the SEZ plans : Kamal Nath.
- Criticism of Hindu's reports: By a blogger,
- fact-finding report: http://www.sanhati.com/res/resdoc2.pdf
- NAPM Report of the larger issue: http://www.kafila.org/2007/02/27/napm-report-to-nandigram-via-singur/
- Criticism from the left: http://www.wsws.org/articles/2007/jan2007/beng-j26.shtml
- Medha patkar's report: http://www.kafila.org/2007/03/15/medha-patkar-on-civil-war-in-nandigram/
- The left is split
- History and reality of CPI(M) in west bengal (Vir Sanghvi): http://www.hindustantimes.in/news/181_1953035,00300001.htm
- interesting personal opinion: http://www.writingcave.com/the-nandigram-killings/
- The CBI probe into the Nandigram incidents has already yielded significant results as CPM flags and leaflets have been confiscated from the area. http://www.ndtv.com/template/template.asp?template=nandigramviolence&slug=CBI+finds+CPM+flags+at+Nandigram&id=21649&callid=0&category=National
- The reality of CPI(M) in Bengal: http://mail.sarai.net/pipermail/reader-list/2007-March/008850.html
- Online petition: http://petitions.aidindia.org/nandigram/index.php
- Online Petition: http://www.petitiononline.com/nandigra/petition.html
- local resistance: http://www.sanhati.com/resistanceNews.htm
How each of us can make a difference...
- Get informed.
- Talk to your friends, relatives, neighbours, etc about the issue.
- Use the information and existing petition to draft your own petition and do a signature campaign.
- Edit wikipedia article on Nandigram. But please be responsible with it. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nandigram
- Any other ideas, questions, just mail us at nandigram AT gmail DOT com
Contact info of people you can register your protest with:-
- Governor of West Bengal(WB) - Gopal Krishna Gandhi Fax: 033-22002444
- Chief Minister (WB) - Buddhadeb Bhattacharjee Fax:: 033-2214-5480/1341
- Chief Secretary (WB)- Amit Kiran Deb Fax: 033-2214 4328
- Home Secretary (WB)- Prasad Roy Fax: 033-22143001 , Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Minister of Land and Land Reforms Department (WB) - Abdur Rezzak Mollah - Fax: 033-22144025
- Minister of Industry (WB) - Nirupam Sen Fax: 033-22144900
- Mr. Manmohan Singh, Prime Minister of India, Fax: +91 11 23016857, Email: email@example.com
- Justice Mr. Y. K. Sabharwal, Chief Justice of India, Fax: +91 11 23383792, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Chairperson, National Human Rights Commission of India, Fax: +91 11 2334 0016, Email: email@example.com
- Shri Prakash Karat, General Secretary CPI(M), A.K. Gopala Bhavan, Bhai Mahavir Singh Marg, Golmarket, New Delhi –1
- Singur (WB) -- TATA motors factory -- 1000 acres
- Kalinganagar (orissa) -- TATA steel factory --
- Bastar (Chhattisgarh) -- industrial estate
About this document:-Shared information and sources about Nandigram killings. If there is anyone else you want to add as editor, let us know at nandigram AT gmail DOT com.
Anyone can view this document at: http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=dhhpcbb8_16dgq4wf
Sanjay Sangvai for his excellent report
Aditya Nigam for postings at Kafila
And all others whose reports and articles have been the basis of this page.
Guidelines for Editors: Please dont reject anything based on the point of view. Feel free to add to it but dont remove anything without a really good reason. If you feel some information may be factually incorrect or biased, please mention the reasons for that.